Monday, October 4, 2010

First Memories of Design

      (preciousmoments.com)

Design Through Past Perceptions

     The thought of design touched my soul from the very beginnings of my childhood; My coloring book. The vivid imagery of the pages within my “Precious Moment” books came to take hold of my creative desires. Just the sight of the glossy edges of the cover, stimulated my desire to immediately grab a marker or colored pencil. The pre-made facial expressions on each page transformed my ideas into a consistent rhythm. While the clothes were stylized, their silhouette against each background was a design all its own. Yet, the simple lines and structure of coloring books never limited my art. I was never the type to obey those unspoken rules of coloring in the lines. (The universal laws of coloring in the lines versus outside of the premade images never occurred to the little girl who was entranced in ignorant bliss.) I was in the realm of concept; An idea where boundaries were limitless. The colors in any children’s book were tasteful, and could transform a flat object into an emotion. The array of pastels could set a mood.  The coloring book started as an idea and grew into an inspiration, a concept into the realm of imagination and infinite possibilities.  This book could not only shed light to my own creative muse, but it tapped into my hopes and dreams. Through the endless pages, comes a new idea for each drawing. This coloring book can give any creative youngster a step into the path of personal, intrinsic design.  As a child, you are bombarded with restrictions, rules, authority, so how must one indulge into their creativity? These coloring books did it for me. I discovered that even a simple drawing book with the restricted pictorial lines can have a way out, a design all its own. The girl with the marker, I had the authority in my own hand, my own world.  So I doodled and gained this experience, which sparked my love for design. I designed the world, my way, one coloring book at a time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment