Monday, October 11, 2010

Creativity From Without

I hope you never lose your sense of wonder You get your fill to eat
But always keep that hunger May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed I hope you still feel small
When you stand by the ocean
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens
Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance I hope you dance
I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance Never settle for the path of least resistance  Living might mean taking chances But they're worth taking
Lovin' might be a mistake But it's worth making Don't let some hell bent heart Leave you bitter
When you come close to selling out Reconsider
Give the heavens above More than just a passing glance And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance I hope you dance
Time is real and in constant motion always
I hope you dance
Rolling us along
I hope you dance
Tell me who wants to look back on their youth and wonder,
where those years have gone…


            These words sung by the lips of Lee Ann Womack have become a classic inspiration and cherished memory in the hearts of music lovers worldwide. Written by Tia Sillers, in an interview with Songwriter Universe magazine, she explains that she was going through a painful divorce when she wrote this song. Said Sillers: "For 'I Hope You Dance,' I had written the opening line, 'I hope you never lose your sense of wonder. I had just broken up with someone, going through a brutal divorce. I needed to get away, so I went to a beach on the Florida Gulf Coast. Sitting on the beach and reflecting about the break-up, I felt so small and inconsequential. But out of this difficult time came the inspiration to write 'I Hope You Dance.' As I was leaving the beach, I remember thinking that things weren't really so bad, that I would get through it. That's when I came up with the line, 'I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean.'”
            Time itself, can inspire an art or spark a creative thought, just like the aesthetic beauty of Tia Sillers lyrics. Because she doesn’t obviously go right out and say what she means, this song has a greater effect. Her use of indirect semantics creates a deeper emotional effect toward the song. Her word choice sets a specific mood all because of the organization and design of the lyrics.
            Tia is a great example of an artist who finds creativity outside her self.

                                                                     (alvinslaughter.net)

Simply strolling along the beach and finding the beauty of life through nature can be more inspiring then one’s own thoughts, which are mostly bits and pieces of appropriated ideas. This song is about taking chances and not being afraid to try something new. The way she puts her music together makes me feel a certain way and design is all about feeling inspiration. The simple chorus line, “I hope you dance” made it a memorable classic. As an artist who found creativity outside her self, just sitting on the ocean inspired her art. To find creativity from without and then connect it to the bigger picture like Tia does, can make a change. If someone is also going through similar problems, listening to this song will suddenly change their mood because of her words. And because of their changed mood, their desire to take action is created. A woman has been inspired by the world, a song has been crafted, listeners have been moved by the art form, and a call to action has taken place.  I know when I hear this song, the lyrics and sound inspires me because it is also a work of art, an expressive metaphor. Like Tia, Eddie Uehara uses his artform as a motivational metaphor. Eddie Uehara, "Dance to Inspire, Inspire to Dance"         http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ALtIwy77RU 

         “I hope you dance.” Music is everywhere: the sound of falling water, the rustle of leaves, the call of wild birds, even the sound of rush-hour traffic is a kind of soundtrack to your life. Life is a “dance” from one stage to the next. You dance through life and you are the choreographer to plan and design that dance.
          Words put to sound and rhythm can inspire, dancing is an art form that can express what words cannot, and (painting, sculpting...) tangible art is a design, which music and dance cannot. No matter what type of artistic form used, each is a magical tool that has created the past and will design the future. Creativity around us is reality-changing.

         

No comments:

Post a Comment