Monday, November 29, 2010

Design in Society: Bike Life Of Davis California

                                                                                                      (UC Davis campus)

          The invention of the bicycle was one of the greatest deigns known to man, especially in the heart of Davis, California. The bicycle gives the opportunity for travel, ease of transportation, and affordable wheels to get from one place to another, whether it is to school, or to the supermarket. The bicycle saves precious time, and gets the rider anywhere quicker than walking. Because of the creation of the bicycle, living in Northern California, it has made transportation easier in such urban city living. I personally, had gotten into a bad car accident over the summer and originally intended to drive my car to school since I live farther away. Now that my car is smashed to the ground, my bike has made my everyday life a lot easier in terms of getting places. My bike is my utopia. It improves my life and I know for more than half of the world without cars, the bicycle is a form of utopian for them as well.
          The design of the bicycle also helps to improve traveling. A supportive seat can improve transportation comfort, and the medium from which the body was created can give stability and safety. For my beach cruiser bike, it was designed with a basket in the front.
                                              (google images)

          The addition of creating the bike with an attached basket has immensely improved my life. If I didn’t have the innovative designed basket, when I go to the supermarket I wouldn’t have a place to put my bags because I don’t have enough hands to carry all my groceries home. It is because of the design and form of the bicycle that directly improves my daily life for the better along with the rest of Davis students in our bicycle society.
          The bike is so innovational, and yet Davis isn’t the only bike city. There is even a city without cars, a bicycle utopia in the USA. There actually is a place in the USA where motor vehicles are not allowed. Mackinac Island, Michigan. People actually live there. Motorized vehicles are not allowed on the island. Transportation is horse, bike, and foot. 
                                            (Planetware.com)


          While cars may be seen as the “future,” it is no doubt that Davis and Michigan understand the benefits of the bicycle to simplifying everyday life and improving society for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment